From maps for sharing backyards with neighbors to ways to connect with gardeners across the continent, Vancouver has a bumper crop of urban agricultural resources available year-round.
>> Local Folks
- City Farmer (www.cityfarmer.org) – Since 1978, City Farmer has supported urban agriculture in Vancouver and beyond with workshops and resources.
- Evergreen (www.evergreen.ca) – Excellent workshop resources for school kids on school ground greening, urban stewardship, and native plant landscaping.
- Farm Folk City Folk (www.ffcf.bc.ca) – A non-profit society that works with food communities to develop a local, sustainable food system in BC.
- SPEC (www.spec.bc.ca) – Society Promoting Environmental Conservation (SPEC) address food security and green space issues in BC.
- UBC Farm (www.landfood.ubc.ca/ubcfarm) – Vancouver’s only working farmland, UBC farm is a 24 hectacre teaching, research and community farm. Read their lively blog here.
- Your Local Farmer’s Market Society (www.eatlocal.org) – Support your local farmers on market days at The WISE hall at 1882 Adanac Street – even in Winter!
- Edible Garden Project (www.ediblegardenproject.com) – A North-Shore based network based on growing, harvesting and sharing local food with those in need.
- Urban Diggers Society (email@example.com) – This Mount Pleasant-area group is a longtime advocate for affordable agriculture opportunities.
- Lifecycles (www.lifecyclesproject.ca) – Based in Victoria, BC, and dedicated to awareness and action around food, health and urban sustainability.
- American Community Gardening Association (www.communitygarden.org) – A comprehensive toolbox for gardeners that includes guides, best practices and innovative workshops.
- Seeds (www.westcoastseeds.net) – Get local, dependable organic seeds from West Coast Seeds. Check out their website for distributors in your area.
- Free Compost – For community or school gardens, contact Vancouver Landfill at 604.257.8631.
- Free Mulch – Contact City Arboriculture at 604.257.8631.
- Free Woodchips – Contact the Parks Board, North Side 604.257.8573 and South Side 604.257.8631.
>> And Check Out …
- Vancouver’s Pledge: 2010 Gardens for 2010
- No Garden? Share a Vancouver neighbor’s backyard
- Get Local: Fresh produce near you
- Cook up a storm in a Community Kitchen near you
- Click here to download our guide on starting a community garden.